The Mighty Apple Pancake
- 2 tbsp. unsalted butter
- 4 cups diced peeled tart apples
- 2 tbsp. firmly packed brown sugar
- 4 large eggs – beaten
- 1/2 lemon – juiced
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup milk – full fat for best results
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 tsp. vanilla essence
- pinch of salt
- Castor sugar to sprinkle on the top for presentation
- Light a Cobble Stone and once ready to cook place the Deep Frying Dish into the Cobb with the lid on, to heat for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla, flour, and salt until just blended and set aside
- Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the Deep Frying Dish and add the apples and saute, turning when required until tender.
- Once the apples are cooked sprinkle them with the brown sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon. Stir to make sure evenly combined and remove from heat and drain half the liquid from the apples. Try to ensure even distribution in the Deep Frying Pan of the apples.
- Place the Deep Frying Dish back over the Cobble Stone.
- Pour the batter prepared earlier over the warm apples.
- Put the Dome over the Deep Frying Pan and bake until puffed and golden brown. This should take 20 – 25 minutes.
- Serve with a dusting of castor sugar and a dollop of double thick cream.