Anywhere Chocolate Cake
Why a cake in an outdoor cooking section, you ask? Why not! This one requires absolutely no special skills or talents, no electric mixer and, best of all, no effort!
MAKES A 25CM ROUND CAKE
TIME: 50 MINS
2 cups (300g) self-raising flour
½ teaspoon (3ml) baking powder
1½ cups (375g) sugar
½ cup (50g) cocoa powder
4 extra-large eggs, beaten
1 cup (250ml) milk ½ cup
(125ml) sunflower oil
Butter or oil, for greasing
1 large bar (150g) milk or dark chocolate, broken into squares
Light ½ Cobblestone and allow to burn for 5 minutes. Top your COBB with the grill grid and roast rack, cover with the dome and preheat for 20 minutes.
• Mix the flour, baking powder, sugar and cocoa in a bowl.
• In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and oil together.
• Stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients until well combined.
• Pour the batter into a greased baking tin and place it on the roast rack.
• Cover with the dome and bake for 30–35 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
• Remove and cool for 5 minutes.
• Unmould the cake and while it’s still warm, top with chocolate squares. Wait for the chocolate to melt a bit, then spread it with a knife to ice the cake.
SWAP IT OUT For a Vanilla Cake: replace the cocoa powder with ¼ cup self-raising flour. Then play around with flavours by adding lemon or orange zest, and use white chocolate for icing.
We would love to receive your comments and hear your thoughts on this recipe!