Meatballs in a Rich Tomato Sauce
- 1kg beef hamburger
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 T dried mixed herbs
- 1 T Worcester sauce
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- Splash of white/red wine (optional)
- 1 chilli, finely chopped (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 t brown sugar
- Olive oil
- Place the mince, onion, garlic, Worcester sauce and herbs into a bowl and mix together with 2 T olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roll them into small meatballs.
- Light a cobblestone and wait a few minutes until it has turned grey. Or, if you don’t have a cobblestone on hand, ready your briquettes in the Cobb.
- Place the deep frying dish on to the Cobb and close the dome lid, wait for 5-10 minutes for it to heat up nicely.
- Remove the dome lid and add a glug of oil. Place the meatballs in the pan and brown them evenly making sure not to overcrowd them.
- Remove the meatballs and set aside.
- Then add the tomato tins, chilli (optional) and the sugar – along with a good splash of your wine (the wine is optional).
- Give it a good stir and close the lid for 10 minutes. Then remove the dome lid and add the meatballs. Let it simmer, stirring occasionally for another 10 minutes (dome lid off) and season to taste.
- Enjoy this with some fresh crusty bread to mop up the sauce – a great one for the whole family.
T = Tablespoon
t = teaspoon